A couple of weeks ago N8dogg and I tried this Oriental Chicken Salad at his sister’s house, and we haven’t been able to get enough of it since. It’s quick and simple, and the best part is that a big bowl of it lasts us all week long, which makes it perfect for work lunches and leftover nights. So, since we have been loving it so much I thought I would share it today.
What you will need:
- 4 Chicken breasts, cooked, skinned and cut into pieces
- ½ Head of cabbage, cut up (We use a little more than half a head)
- 1 Pkg. Oriental (or chicken) flavor Ramen noodles (These are N8dogg’s favorite part, so we used 2 Pkgs.)
- 4 Green onions (Which we opted out of)
- ½ Cup of sliced almonds (we used 2/3 Cup, because that’s what came in the package we bought)
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
What you will need for the Dressing:
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of white vinegar
- ½ Cup of vegetable or canola oil
- 1 Teaspoon of salt
- ½ Teaspoon of pepper
Note: I like to prep my cabbage and my chicken before I start making my salad just to streamline the process.
So, once you have your ingredients prepped start by browning your sesame seeds and almonds in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes.
While those are browning go ahead and combine your dressing ingredients along with the oriental (or chicken) flavoring from the Ramen noodles. I like to mix my ingredients in a mason jar or something that I am able to shake up. After mixing (or shaking) refrigerate.
Oh, and don’t mind the cow on top of the refrigerator. He thinks he is the keeper of the food.
Next, mix your chicken (cooked and cubed), cabbage (cup up), Ramen noodles (uncooked and broken up), onions (cup up), and almonds and sesame seeds (toasted) in a large bowl.
Then just before serving pour your dressing over the mixture and toss.
This salad is usually eaten as a side dish and serves 8 – 10 people. However, N8dogg and I eat it as a main course, and can usually get 4 – 6 servings out of it.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!