Monday, April 30, 2012

Hanging Lantern Art

Hello, and Happy Monday!

How was your weekend?

Mine was great!

I had to work, but since it was slow I was able to get some projects done. :o)

Oh, and yesterday I did some more decluttering, cleaning, and decorating.

Yay! My house is no longer a war zone...well, the craft room still is, but the rest of it actually looks decent for once. :o)

Anyway, I have a ton of projects I want to show you...but unfortunately, nothing is quite ready to be reveled. :o(

Some need better pictures, some are time sensitive, and well, some are just not quite finished, but soon.

Very soon. :o)

Anyway, today I thought I would show you the hanging lantern art that I put together for my entryway/dining room.

I am calling it "art" because I don't really know what else to call it? So, since it doesn't really have a function, other than to look good, I thought "art" was the most appropriate term. Ha!

Ok, so this project started when I found some paper lanterns in the dollar bin at Michael's.

 
I grabbed the 4 that they had left (I hope they get in some more, because I LOVE these things), and used some clear string to hang them from my ceiling.


It turned out to be exactly what I was going for, but right away I bet you noticed the problem. If not, do you see the arrow pointing to the little white Command strip holding up the lanterns? Yep.

You see, I have "commitment issues" when it comes to decorating. So, instead of using nails or screws (like a normal person) I use Command strips and hooks. They actually work really well, and since I change my decor so often they are definitely wall savers. However, sometimes they can be major eye sores, so to fix this problem I came up with a quick and easy, not to mention, cheap solution.

I took my lanterns down, and grabbed a Mason jar lid.


Then, I poked a small hole through the lid,


And threaded my lantern string through.

I put a Command strip on top of the string, and pressed it firmly on to the back of the lid.


I finished it off by placing the lid upside down in the Mason jar ring. If you wanted to, you could hot glue the ring in place so that it's a little more stable, but it's not necessary since gravity will be on your side.

Now, just press that baby in place on the ceiling, and that's it.


What do you think?

Looks better, right?


I really love how it looks in this little corner, and the best part is that it only cost me about $6.00 to make.

Fun, Funky, and Cheap, what more could a girl ask for. :o)

Happy Monday!  

Pin It!

No comments: